Internship Programs within United Nations Organizations
The United Nations provides opportunities for students enrolled in a graduate programme to undertake an internship at its Headquarters in New York, Geneva, Vienna, Nairobi, Addis Ababa, Bangkok, Beirut and Santiago.
The purpose of the United Nations Internship Programme is to:
- to provide a framework by which graduate and post-graduate students from diverse academic backgrounds may be assigned to United Nations Offices where their educational experience can be enhanced through practical work assignments.
- to expose them to the work of the United Nations.
- gain experience in the work of the Organization with the objective of deepening their knowledge and understanding of the United Nations’s goals, principles and activities.
- to provide UN offices with the assistance of highly qualified students specialized in various professional fields.
Keep in mind:
- Duration: The internship programme lasts for at least two months and can be as long as six months. Once selected, you must begin your internship either prior to or within one year of graduation.
- Cost: United Nations interns are not paid. All costs related to travel, insurance, accommodation, and living expenses must be borne by either the interns or their sponsoring institutions.
- Visa: You will be responsible for obtaining and financing the necessary visas.
- Travel: You will arrange and finance your travel to the United Nations location where you will be an intern.
- Medical insurance: You will be responsible for costs arising from accidents and/or illness incurred during the internship and must show proof of a valid major global medical insurance coverage.
- Confidentiality: You must be discreet and keep confidential any and all unpublished information obtained during the course of the internship and may not publish any documents based on such information.
- Academic Credit: You may get academic credit from your institution of higher education for the internship. Check with your university to confirm their academic credit policy for internships.
Here are some links which provide information or access to the Internship Programs: